JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM

The generalizations I see about Koreans are making me wonder just how educated some of you are.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 06:42 PM

^ It shouldn't be a Korean thread in the first place. This is Japanforum so beyond comparing size of kpop to Jpop, anything else should be taken to a Korean forum.

The Answer to the OP's question is Jpop is way bigger. Japan's music industry is second biggest in the world(U.S. is number one)

I don't remember Korean even in the top five. That's the bottom line.

Someone posted about 1000 people at the korean concert in L.A. I saw local news coverage of that. The audience was all Koean-Americans! There is a huge Korean population in America Vs a small Japanese population. Look at the size of Ktown Vs Jtown.

Argument like the above are suspect to circumstance.
Other weak arguments are:

1) Kpop is all over youtube
There is more Korean stuff on youtube then Japanese stuff in general,not just music. Youtube participation is not demographically equal. the logical reason is there is more Koreans doing youtube than Japanese. Japanese are isolated to the Japanese language parts of the internet. The English speaking Japanese internet community is small.

2) Kpop and Kdramas are on TV in SEA and other countries. Things get on TV by TV stations paying licensing fees. The combination of entertainment value and price is what seals the deal. Japanese TV is not willing to lease out their shows for cheap, they make enough money at home and don't care to sell abroad.

Now with that said, with exposure comes more popularity so I thing the Korean media is making smart moves. They may very will take over the spot of second largest music industry in the world at some future date. As of today, the facts say Jpop is bigger.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

09-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
Now with that said, with exposure comes more popularity so I thing the Korean media is making smart moves. They may very will take over the spot of second largest music industry in the world at some future date. As of today, the facts say Jpop is bigger.
I agree 100%. That was exactly my original point in this thread.
Jpop, right now, is obviously bigger in comparison. It seems Kpop is just growing at a considerable rate.

Japan is more well known in general, so naturally its entertainment industry would have a broader influence. Its music is also supported by things like Anime, which also attracts a lot of attention. Initially, considering the rate at which Korean music is establishing its identity, it may seem like it will easily outgrow Jpop. But Jpop has been well-known for a while... it probably won't be so simple.

Quote:
The audience was all Koean-Americans!
Was there some sort of poll at the concert regarding ethnicity?

You can ask a non-Asian person if they know much about Japanese pop culture. The chances are, if they're not really familiar with Japan, they'll still be able to mention some generic qualities associated with it (e.g. Anime, spikey-hair, make-up, etc.). Regardless of whether they're particularly enthusiastic about Japanese culture, they'll still likely have some general knowledge. However, it would be different if you were to ask about Korean pop culture. Right now, the things with the highest possibility of being mentioned would be Wonder Girls, Rain, or BoA... But, even then, the chances are slim.

My point is, at the moment, Kpop seems to be growing in popularity among Asians, primarily. The reason why I'd scrutinize an observation such as the one I quoted from your post, is because, unless there was a poll regarding ethnicity, there may have been a few hundred Japanese, Chinese, SEA's, Taiwanese among the crowd... And that would make that statement hardly based upon actual facts.

Last edited by Jaydelart : 09-11-2010 at 03:20 AM.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-10-2010, 08:01 PM

^ True. It was on the local news showing clips of what's on stage and panning around the audience which showed a sea of Asian faces. there very will could have been other Asians there besides Koreans.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
BabyAzerty (Offline)
New to JF

09-11-2010, 01:26 AM

Never heard of Kpop (here in France)
Actually, I'm discovering it with this thread ^^
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
09-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
^ It shouldn't be a Korean thread in the first place. This is Japanforum so beyond comparing size of kpop to Jpop, anything else should be taken to a Korean forum.

The Answer to the OP's question is Jpop is way bigger. Japan's music industry is second biggest in the world(U.S. is number one)

I don't remember Korean even in the top five. That's the bottom line.

Someone posted about 1000 people at the korean concert in L.A. I saw local news coverage of that. The audience was all Koean-Americans! There is a huge Korean population in America Vs a small Japanese population. Look at the size of Ktown Vs Jtown.
Well considering I attended the concert myself and was there to witness it...not. Most of them were Chinese-American, European-American, African-American, and Hmong-American. Not to mention other mixes.
I'm Euro-American myself

I only saw a few groups with Koreans, and its easy for me to tell who is who, based on what language they're conversing excitedly in.

Korean pop is getting bigger. Day by day. Japan may be ahead for now, but within a couple of years, Korean could be way on top.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayci View Post
Well considering I attended the concert myself and was there to witness it...not. Most of them were Chinese-American, European-American, African-American, and Hmong-American. Not to mention other mixes.
I'm Euro-American myself

I only saw a few groups with Koreans, and its easy for me to tell who is who, based on what language they're conversing excitedly in.
Korean-Americans not being the majority at a Kpop event in L.A.?
that would be a first.

Quote:
Korean pop is getting bigger. Day by day. Japan may be ahead for now, but within a couple of years, Korean could be way on top.
True, someday Kpop might be number 2.

But, then again, Jpop is also making new roads. thru the internet, Anime and games, Jpop and many thing Japanese are on the rise again. Don't be surprised to see more and more Jpop entering into the Ipods of American and European youth.

Last edited by chiuchimu : 09-14-2010 at 04:21 AM.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-14-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Keep dreaming!

The sizes of music industries. Where is Korea?

(#59 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-14-2010, 04:54 AM

^ curious sashi, whats the Kpop market as a percent?

(#60 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

09-14-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
^ curious sashi, whats the Kpop market as a percent?
It's so small they don't even announce it. World's #20 is Denmark with 0.5-0.8%, so Korea is smaller than that.

# Country Album Sales Share Share of World Market Value
1 USA 30–35%
2 Japan 16–19%
3 UK 6.4–9.1%
4 Germany 6.4–5.3%
5 France 5.4–6.3%
6 Canada 1.9–2.8%
7 Australia 1.5–2.0%
8 Brazil 1.1–3.1%
9 Italy 1.5–2.0%
10 Spain 1.4–1.8%
11 Netherlands 1.3–1.8%
12 Mexico 0.8–1.8%
13 Belgium 0.8–1.2%
14 Switzerland 0.8–1.1%
15 Austria 0.8–1.0%
17 Russia 0.5–1.4%
18 Taiwan 0.5–1.1%
19 Argentina 0.5–1.0%
20 Denmark 0.5–0.8%

Figures are those announced by International Federation of the Phonographic Industry