(#101 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Actually, they haven't.

Someone with street experience are, in most cases, used to fighting others with the same style. Usually grappling and/or bare knuckle with a viscous twist. I doubt they see a lot of martial arts, unless they went out of their way to look for fights with strangers.

It varies from person to person, but in most cases I would put my money on those with formal training.
I think you're over-estimating the way martial arts can affect the outcome of a fight. The guys who study TaeKwonDo, Karate (Kyokushin being the exception I would make) or the various strands of Kung Fu (ditto with Sanshou) etc... first off have little in their arsenal which is street effective.

Second of all.. with regards to the martial arts that contain techniques which are street effective (Muay Thai, Krav Maga, Boxing).. well the most effective of techniques in these styles are the ones that are the most basic and resemble the way a person would naturally throw an effective punch.

Third... Probably half of all the successful boxers, kickboxers, MMA fighters come from backgrounds in which street experience has been a way of life to an extent (how often do we hear boxers/MMA fighters/Muay Thai fighters tell us their story as to how boxing saved them from a life in the streets etc for example.)

Fourth.. a guy with no training but experience fights without rules. A guy with training but no street experience... operates with rules.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bELyVIS View Post
My sister. She is skilled, bigger(not fat) and stronger than an average woman. She very tough (ex professional stuntwoman) and mean if pissed off.
If you were a true martial artist who believed that skill and training made the difference, why would size matter? One of the best fighters I knew in America was a 5 foot four inch 145 pound Sheriff's Deputy who I saw regularly take down drunken 250 pound plus Bikers. He was a little Pit Bull.
Look, it can happen. Small people beat much larger people. Females beat men. But if you're small, you're already at a disadvantage due to reach and power. If you're female, also, you're at a double disadvantage, due to less aggressive mindset (in 99% of cases), less testosterone to make power. Also, the female body shape is less suited for athletics (mainly the wide hips and big boobs).

So, a small chick is usually fucked. Of course, if she has skill, then yeah, she'd make up for it. Especially if her opponent is way unskilled. But you'll be relying on your skill to compensate for your physical.

When it all comes down, most chicks don't even got the reach to punch my head. They'll have trouble kicking my balls, because they're not hard to protect. I really don't see how they'd manage to fight me.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#103 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I think you're over-estimating the way martial arts can affect the outcome of a fight. The guys who study TaeKwonDo, Karate (Kyokushin being the exception I would make) or the various strands of Kung Fu (ditto with Sanshou) etc... first off have little in their arsenal which is street effective.
I don't think that's accurate. These styles do have extremly powerful strikes in them. Especially TKD. They might seem more geared to being flashy, but if someone were to approach it with the right attitude, learn the style and not pay off the conditioning, they could do some serious damage.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#104 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-27-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
I don't think that's accurate. These styles do have extremly powerful strikes in them. Especially TKD. They might seem more geared to being flashy, but if someone were to approach it with the right attitude, learn the style and not pay off the conditioning, they could do some serious damage.
I did TKD for 10 years. Beautiful martial art and really good for fitness, conditioning and mental discipline. However the only techniques useful are the side-kick and the front kick and maybe the back kick. I'll throw in the turning kick too as it is used in tournaments and is quite similar to the Muay Thai whip kick (though in tournaments, TKD fighters are usually going for points rather than power so the have a tendency to lean back so that they keep their body out of range for a counter attack when they do the technique... whereas in Muay Thai you are taught to keep your core as central as possible so as to maintain balance and consolidate power... the latter being more streetworthy advice)

The punching in TKD is almost non-existent in tournament training and only really present in the traditional side of it.
(#105 (permalink))
Old
TyreaL (Offline)
きぼう

Send a message via MSN to TyreaL
08-27-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
This isn't some Final Fantasy game where someone who's good at some mythical style of football can transfer his talents over to combat and become a super-hero. This is real life, where people train their entire life-time perfecting what at first looks to be the simplest movements...

Anyway, weapons Vs. monsters is way different than fists Vs. professionals. So maybe FF still have some credability...
No Mr tenchu u didn't get my point , Spirit is a intial part of the human being , even in football if the player in Hight spiritual condition his performance during the game will be Acceptable ...

but you were about competition against professionals .. But I still belive that spirit is part of the fighter Attributes ..

(#106 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-27-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Care to explain why you disagree?

Because an awful lot of dojo-darlings have 'trained' for decades and have every color belt under the sun but have never been in a scrap for real, and there are a lot of low-lifes out in the street who have never been 'trained' but who know what the experience of an actual fight in the streets is like. The value of training depends on the type and quality of that training, and experience counts for a lot.
(#107 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-28-2009, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
The value of training depends on the type and quality of that training, and experience counts for a lot.
Well that's common sense. But,. unlike most here, I tend to think training is experience.

(#108 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-28-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreaL View Post
No Mr tenchu u didn't get my point , Spirit is a intial part of the human being , even in football if the player in Hight spiritual condition his performance during the game will be Acceptable ...

but you were about competition against professionals .. But I still belive that spirit is part of the fighter Attributes ..
Yes. Spirit is very important. However, it isn't everything.

If it were, the Gauls would have conquered Rome over a thousand times... but didn't...

(#109 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-28-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I did TKD for 10 years. Beautiful martial art and really good for fitness, conditioning and mental discipline. However the only techniques useful are the side-kick and the front kick and maybe the back kick. I'll throw in the turning kick too as it is used in tournaments and is quite similar to the Muay Thai whip kick (though in tournaments, TKD fighters are usually going for points rather than power so the have a tendency to lean back so that they keep their body out of range for a counter attack when they do the technique... whereas in Muay Thai you are taught to keep your core as central as possible so as to maintain balance and consolidate power... the latter being more streetworthy advice)

The punching in TKD is almost non-existent in tournament training and only really present in the traditional side of it.
Well yes, you're right. But I think this is not the style to blame, but the direction of its teachers and students.

If you tried to take it in a more realistic direction, I think it would work.

(#110 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Well that's common sense. But,. unlike most here, I tend to think training is experience.

It's not.