JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the franchise now?
I love everything about it! They just keep improving! 8 24.24%
I'm pleased that they keep changing things. 8 24.24%
Due to nostalgia, I just can't stop playing them. 5 15.15%
They're okay, nothing I would rush out to buy. 4 12.12%
They milk the franchise too much. 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 07:01 AM

1) Not interested in making anyone think what I think.

2) Tenchu, I said leave it at that BECAUSE I already accepted your opinion.

3) chaseme, If you think I'm whining, cover your ears. I think I'm stating my options reasonably well. My opinions, mind you.

4) Good or no good, they're still milking the franchise, why can't they have one team focus on the main FF's and let the others do their thing?

5) Tenchu, everything you said regarding game design, I already knew. Everything. Except this one bit: LOL, are you serious? There is no actual position as "game designer". You claim this, yet when I go to Massive Entertainment's website, you can apply for Junion Game Designer, Game Designer, and Senior Game Designer. Mate, I've been reading up on the gaming industry the past 12 or so months. I think I have a fairly decent idea of what I'm talking about.

6) I never said FF suck. I just think in some ways, these new FF games aren't of the same quality as the other FF games. It looks like FFXIII will be different. I like that.

7) By support, you must mean buy the game. Yes, lots of FF approvers will buy the games. Even if they kind of suck. See FFX-2.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
3) chaseme, If you think I'm whining, cover your ears. I think I'm stating my options reasonably well. My opinions, mind you.
re read your post and i dont see anything but whines and personal biased
"fun" differs from each person to say that something suck because is not "fun" for you is being subjective.

Although i am ignorant in game making and stuff, I think you should have known better on how to criticize as you are right now is nothing but a fault finder.

sorry but i hate people who whines but got nothing to make it better. If you think you are better than those who design FF put what ever ideas you got into words and present it to the public if you are as good as you think you are youll get the peoples attention .

you have already studied on what game designers do. Have you started on doing any game projects? 12 months or so is a long time you should have atleast a team to work with by now that is if you are serious.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseme
re read your post and i dont see anything but whines and personal biased
"fun" differs from each person to say that something suck because is not "fun" for you is being subjective.
Did you now? I'm glad you've seen the biased stuff because that's exactly what they are. My opinions. Biased on what I think is fun. I've never claimed otherwise. Everything regarding FF as games has been the victim of my opinion and my opinion alone. What I have claimed to be fact is the milking of the franchise, and with 25+ games going (which makes it more than 1 game per year), you can safely take that as fact. SE is milking the franchise. I don't like it, but I'm not saying they should stop. It makes money.

Quote:
Although i am ignorant in game making and stuff, I think you should have known better on how to criticize as you are right now is nothing but a fault finder.
I am criticizing the games. I'm not giving constructive criticism because you only give that to the game developers themselves and I'm not interested in giving them constructive criticism.

Quote:
sorry but i hate people who whines but got nothing to make it better. If you think you are better than those who design FF put what ever ideas you got into words and present it to the public if you are as good as you think you are youll get the peoples attention .
You want me to single-handedly and without payment whip out a game design document for a brand new FF game? Are you insane? Before you tell me that you just asked for ideas; ideas are a dime a dozen - worth nothing. It's how you execute the ideas that matters.

Quote:
you have already studied on what game designers do. Have you started on doing any game projects? 12 months or so is a long time you should have atleast a team to work with by now that is if you are serious.
This is off-topic. And no, I haven't got a team. It's hard to get programmers, game designers, composers, graphics designers, concept artists and planners to work with you on a project without getting paid. I'm 18. Are you surprised?
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

Also, you seem to view me as someone who dislikes FF, etc. I just need to clarifiy this is not the case. I've completed FFVI, FFVII (4 times), FFVIII (3 times), FFIX (twice), FFX (twice), FFX-2, FF:CC, and played FFIII, FFXI and FFXII extensively.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 01:09 PM

SE is milking FF too much i wonder why....Oh wait what are these things called supply and demand.
people are willing to purchase/buy products with the FF franchise. of course what will SE do.

I want you to write a game layout without payment?

first game designers make games as a hobby with no way to earn from it

Your only 18?

Im not suprised in fact im disappointed you should have atleast have an idea for a flash game or have made one already. Youll probably say your not interested in making such game your only interested in 3d games. Oh well good luck hope your "fantasy" come true. Be aware that your not the only soul dreaming to be one.
By the way in 1970s college students where already able to design games consider technology back then and today
what exactly are you doing for your dream to be a game designer

Hard to get a team?

"Early in the history of video games, game designers were often the lead programmer or the only programmer for a game, and this remained true as the video game industry dawned in the 1970s. This person also sometimes comprised the entire art team. This is the case of such noted designers as Sid Meier, Chris Sawyer and Will Wright. A notable exception to this policy was Coleco, which from its very start separated the function of design and programming." taken from wiki

Your only interested in criticizing?

oh well... how will your gaming experience improve or how will FF's improve if you only criticize

I think you will fail horribly being a game designer if you dont even understand the masses your thinking are way to subjective, game designers should have knowledge in psysocology and sociology

And i dont view you as someone who dislike FF is just think your way of thinking is way too subjective for someone aiming to be a game designer.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Oh my god, chaseme. You're that ignorant? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to be rude to you now. I apologize in advance, but it must be done.

Quote:
I want you to write a game layout without payment?

first game designers make games as a hobby with no way to earn from it
I work with GDD's that are fully my own. I don't sit and dream about making the next FF because I most likely never will. So you want me, without pay, spend a whole lot of my time creating a GDD that will never be used, and it's not even my own thing? I have higher standards than stealing other people's work in order to impress you. And everyone has the right to demand top quality from Square-Enix, considering how big they are. If you're going to argue 'could you do better?' then your argument fails miserably because it's not their job to make FF's good. Not saying they aren't doing a good job, though.

In conclusion: I'm not writing a GDD for my own FF game. I write GDD's for my own games, period.

Quote:
Im not suprised in fact im disappointed you should have atleast have an idea for a flash game or have made one already. Youll probably say your not interested in making such game your only interested in 3d games. Oh well good luck hope your "fantasy" come true. Be aware that your not the only soul dreaming to be one.
I have begun writing GDD's for two Action-RPG games, a 2D platform game, an FPS game and I'm pondering over a possible RPG game, even though they're really not my thing. Once I get a good computer, I'm going to work extensively with UnrealEd to create levels that serve as basis for levels of my FPS game, and I intend to learn how to use GML to make my 2D platform game. My interest doesn't only lie in 3D games, on the contrary, I have a passion for 2D games - my favorite game of all times is a 2D game. Get your facts straights before coming off as a fool.

Quote:
By the way in 1970s college students where already able to design games consider technology back then and today
what exactly are you doing for your dream to be a game designer
This is why you fail so hard it makes me cry inside. The game industry has evolved far beyond this. A single programmer can no longer make a game to compete with in the current market. You need a team, because you need people to specialize in certain areas. One to take care of the programming, one to do all the graphics, etc. What I'm doing is I'm getting jobs at game companies to get contacts, getting well-paid jobs in order to finance equipment I need in order to start building games, try to learn programming, etc.

For the record, I'm not a college student and not fully interested in programming. Come back to me in about 5 years, then we can talk.

Quote:
Hard to get a team?

"Early in the history of video games, game designers were often the lead programmer or the only programmer for a game, and this remained true as the video game industry dawned in the 1970s. This person also sometimes comprised the entire art team. This is the case of such noted designers as Sid Meier, Chris Sawyer and Will Wright. A notable exception to this policy was Coleco, which from its very start separated the function of design and programming." taken from wiki
Again, gaming has evolved. Shut it if you don't know what you're talking about. Keep yourself updated. What is required to make a game by the year of 2012? A single programmer? HAHAHAHA... jerk.

Quote:
Your only interested in criticizing?

oh well... how will your gaming experience improve or how will FF's improve if you only criticize
For the last time, I don't care about FF and don't feel like the need to contribute to make it better. It would be nice to see the changes for me, personally, but it's nothing vital. I can live without it. I don't intend to make games similar to FF, anyway.

Quote:
I think you will fail horribly being a game designer if you dont even understand the masses your thinking are way to subjective, game designers should have knowledge in psysocology and sociology
I understand them a whole lot better than you. Just because FF are selling great doesn't mean they can't improve. You're just full of crap, I've noticed this now, you honestly believe I'm just some kind of retarded kid who just sits around and thinks he can become the next Sakaguchi because he has one neat idea, or something... get over yourself, seriously. There is a whole world outside FF, there are million of gamers who are interested in games other than FF, there are millions who don't even touch JRPG's.

chaseme, do us both a favor. Don't discuss this with me. Just... don't.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 03:32 PM

You're correct, Tenchu - game design isn't an official title because it's a collective word for various designers. The lead designer is credited as the Director, but then you have other designers like Stage/Level Designers, Character Designers, Monster Designers, etc. They're part of the game design team and counted as game designers.

My plans? Alright.

1) Keep in touch with Massive Entertainment. They've put together a QA-team, and we'll be working next week, full working hours. QA-teams is a good way to get a foot on the other side of the door. I'm also buying a new computer. Going to work a lot with my platform game as well as using the map editor that comes with Unreal Tournament 3.

2) Internship with them during University studies.

3) After getting a degree, I'll apply as part of the game design team, preferably as a Level Designer. I'm not sure there is such a thing as Story Designer, but I wouldn't mind working with the story.

4) Hope they'll let me lead a project for an FPS game after having been employed there a few years. I think they're the type of company tha would do FPS. They've only made 2 games (3, but 1 is a sequel), so they're still young.

5) Move on from there. I really want to work with different sorts of games.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
This is why you fail so hard it makes me cry inside. The game industry has evolved far beyond this. A single programmer can no longer make a game to compete with in the current market. You need a team, because you need people to specialize in certain areas. One to take care of the programming, one to do all the graphics, etc. What I'm doing is I'm getting jobs at game companies to get contacts, getting well-paid jobs in order to finance equipment I need in order to start building games, try to learn programming, etc.
Lol you made me laugh. I am FULLY aware that your INCAPABLE OF DOING SOMETHING ON THE SAME PAGE OF ANY PUBLISH GAME since tetris. I certainly dont expect you can do something like that you made me laugh.
Im not saying you have to make a full scale 3d rendered games. what i mean it that you should have atleast created games at the level with games 20 years ago even something like a version of "pong". Aint that better than just plans.

Quote:
Again, gaming has evolved. Shut it if you don't know what you're talking about. Keep yourself updated. What is required to make a game by the year of 2012? A single programmer? HAHAHAHA... jerk.
It would probably take a single person to do games at the same level of games today you'll never know. I think your aware how fast technology develops. your right i dont keep myself updated my college course9computer engineering) requires me to look beyond. hahahah... smartass

Quote:
For the last time, I don't care about FF and don't feel like the need to contribute to make it better. It would be nice to see the changes for me, personally, but it's nothing vital. I can live without it. I don't intend to make games similar to FF, anyway.
why the rant if you dont care.lol

Quote:
I understand them a whole lot better than you. Just because FF are selling great doesn't mean they can't improve. You're just full of crap, I've noticed this now, you honestly believe I'm just some kind of retarded kid who just sits around and thinks he can become the next Sakaguchi because he has one neat idea, or something... get over yourself, seriously. There is a whole world outside FF, there are million of gamers who are interested in games other than FF, there are millions who don't even touch JRPG's.

chaseme, do us both a favor. Don't discuss this with me. Just... don't.
Can you blame me if i see you as on retarded kid? You didnt show anything to prove otherwise.
All i see are rants like "whoever came up of draw should die" how can i take you seriously as a game designer.

BTW why do you assume people who contradicts you dont have a life except FF, My favorite game isnt FF its actually DOTA which isnt a stand alone game but a custom map for warcraft which is written at first by a single person. dota is considered by most as the "ultimate RTS".
.The guy currently maintaining DOTA is just a COLLEGE STUDENT. now that is a guy that is actually doing something to for his dreams. Comparing you to icefrog(guy currently maintaining dota) can you blame me if i see you as a retarded kid

In case you dont know anything about dota and the game's popularity Defense of the Ancients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by chaseme : 04-17-2008 at 05:13 PM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 05:21 PM

1) I'm not interesting in programming, so making Tetris and Pong serves me no interest.

2) I never said anywhere that people who disagree with me haven't got a life outside of FF. Quote me stating otherwise if you wish to prove me wrong.

3) Your information regarding many things are wrong. Check your facts first.

Last edited by Alastor : 04-17-2008 at 05:24 PM.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Oh, and why did you decide to completely ignore the first half of my last post?