LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-07-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Koir, thanks for correcting and explaining.

Most of us don’t believe in blood typing too. We just enjoy it. It’s a kind of game.
I think Western people are very serious about talking about people and it is because you’ve been living with many people who differ in race and historic background. What do you think?
Political correctness, the whole "melting pot" philosophy...that could be one explanation, Yuri. In my experience, I've been doing what I can to change my thinking to only looking at what a person does, not who they appear to be on the surface.

Quote:
Good night, Koir!
Thanks, Yuri. Have a great...early Sunday afternoon?

Quote:
Koir, I forgot to ask this.

May I write your explanation in my blog?
Sure, Yuri.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 06-07-2009 at 12:20 PM.
(#122 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"He no Kappa(Kappa of Fart)"

A Japanese slang “he no kappa” is “kappa of fart” in English, and means “chinch” or “a piece of cake. Kappa is a legendary creature, which is humanoid, lives in the ponds and rivers of Japan.
The original phrase is “koppa no hi”. “Koppa” means “wood debris”, and “hi” means “fire”.
Fire on wood debris is burned out soon, so the phrase was turned around to mean “too easy (to finish)”
And then, “koppa no hi” was changed to “kappa no he”, then, “he no kappa”.
I wish I could say “Learning English is ‘he no kappa’ to me!”

Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(folklore)

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP
(#123 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-09-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Hi.

"He no Kappa(Kappa of Fart)"

A Japanese slang term “he no kappa” translates to “kappa of fart” in English. Its meaning is the same as a task being a “cinch” or “a piece of cake". The kappa is a legendary humanoid creature that lives in the ponds and rivers of Japan.
The original phrase is “koppa no hi”. “Koppa” means “wood debris”, and “hi” means “fire”.
Fire burning wood debris doesn't take very much time, so the phrase was turned around to mean “too easy (to finish)”.
Next, “koppa no hi” was changed to “kappa no he”, then, “he no kappa”.
I wish I could say “Learning English is ‘he no kappa’ to me!”

Thank you!

Kappa (folklore) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not very many revisions this time, Yuri. Good work!

(#124 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Not very many revisions this time, Yuri. Good work!
Koir, thanks as always!

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

I YamaP
(#125 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-13-2009, 05:55 AM

Hi.

"Guin Saga Vol.127"

This is the latest volume of Guin Saga, entitled “The Sinister Surge”.

Istavan (the king of Gohla) asked Rinda (the queen of Parros) to marry him. There’s no way to give him a clear no or accept him for her. Her country hasn’t overcome the ravages of war. If Gohla provoked a war now, Parros could do nothing, so she can’t say no firmly. And of course, she can’t marry him because Istavan had killed her husband in an indirect sense. In addition, if she married him, Parros would be absorbed by Gohla.
Istavan wants to go to Yaga to search his son; Istavan hasn’t seen him, so he required Parros of a quick answer.
At that time, Guin’s country is having a plague epidemic; the capital town was facing almost certain destruction.

As I mentioned before, the author, Kaoru Kurimoto died on May 26. I hear her last writing is Vol.130, so I will be able to read more three books of Guin Saga. Only Three!
In addition, her husband has gotten a cancer too! He is a publisher, so I thought he would find some suitable authors who would take over the story, help them to write Guin Saga.
However, it seems to be impossible.
I’m very sad…

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#126 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-13-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hi.

"Guin Saga Vol.127"

This is the latest volume of Guin Saga, entitled “The Sinister Surge”.

Istavan (the king of Gohla) asked Rinda (the queen of Parros) to marry him. There’s no way she can give him a clear answer. Her country hasn’t overcome the ravages of war. If Gohla provoked a war now, Parros would be helpless so she can’t refuse him. And of course, she can’t marry him because Istavan had indirectly killed her husband. Also, if she married him, Gohla would absorb Parros into an united kingdom.
Istavan wants to go to Yaga to search his son. He hasn’t seen him, so Istavan needs a quick answer from the Parros kingdom.
At that time, Guin’s country is having a plague epidemic. The capital town is facing almost certain destruction.

As I mentioned before, the author of Guin Saga, Kaoru Kurimoto, died on May 26. I hear her last writing is volume 130, so I will be able to read more three books of Guin Saga. Only Three!
In addition, her husband has tested positive for cancer as well! He is a publisher, so I thought he would find some suitable authors who would take over Guin Saga and help them to write it.
However, it seems to be impossible.
I’m very sad…

Thank you.
I know from personal experience that cancer is a terrible disease. But there's something sort of poetic in how both the author and her husband have it. It's morbid of me to think that...

You could look at it this way, Yuri. You have three more volumes in the story written by its original author. Treasure them always.

(#127 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I know from personal experience that cancer is a terrible disease. But there's something sort of poetic in how both the author and her husband have it. It's morbid of me to think that...

You could look at it this way, Yuri. You have three more volumes in the story written by its original author. Treasure them always.
Thanks, Koir. How nice of you.

I wish her husband recover from the cancer.

I YamaP
(#128 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Hi.

"My Aunt"

My Aunt went to the Philippine on a sightseeing trip. It was her first foreign trip. She lives in the country and she had never seen people from foreign countries. Well, she doesn’t speak English at all.
She saw a young shop assistant at a souvenir store in Philippine airport.
My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt. “The assistant said that her mother was much alike me, and she wanted to exchange letters with me, but I didn’t like her because she called me ‘Mama-san’ many times. I felt as if I was a bar hostess.” Many people call a female bar manager ‘Mama-san’ in Japan.
Now, my aunt seems to have two problems. One of them is the prejudice against bar hostesses. This problem is not only of my aunt, but also of many elderly people, especially in the country. I believe that they should be unprejudiced, still, as a matter of fact, they think a bar hostess has low status.
Another problem is misunderstanding people who speak in broken Japanese. It’s obvious that the shop assistant didn’t call my aunt ‘a bar hostess’, and her words must have been with great affection, but my aunt didn’t understand difficulties speaking in a foreign language.
She was angry and I was sorry to hear her story. Listening to her, I thought we really need to study a foreign language to have sympathy for foreign people who speak to us in Japanese.

Thank you.

I YamaP
(#129 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

06-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Hi.

"My Aunt"

My Aunt went to the Philippines for sightseeing. It was her first trip outside Japan. She lives in the country and had never seen people from other countries. Also, she doesn’t speak English.
She saw a young shop assistant at a souvenir store in the Philippine airport.
My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt. The assistant said that her mother was much like me.

"She wanted to exchange letters with me, but I didn’t like her because she called me ‘Mama-san’ too much. I felt as if I was a bar hostess." Many people call a female bar manager ‘Mama-san’ in Japan.

Now, my aunt seems to have two problems. One of them is a prejudice against bar hostesses. This problem is common in elderly people who live in the country. I believe that they should not be prejudiced. They believe that a bar hostess has low status.
Another problem is misunderstanding people who speak in broken Japanese. It’s obvious that the shop assistant didn’t call my aunt ‘a bar hostess’. Her words were meant to show great affection, but my aunt didn’t understand the assistant's difficulties speaking in a foreign language.
She was angry and I was sorry to hear her story. Listening to her, I thought we really need to study other languages to have empathy for foreigners who speak to us in Japanese.

Thank you.
I can understand the assistant's point of view. From looking at the two of you, she came to the conclusion that your aunt, being older, is most likely a mother or at least deserving of the status we should give to older people in society. As your post stated, it's hard to overcome the ideas one has grown up with and held true for decades. It's possible, but never a complete process.

As for the post composition itself, I see a lot of improvement and increased skill in writing English naturally. There are some sentences that go on too long that need to separated into two or more sentences depending on the flow of words and ideas.

The one problem I have with the post is with the quote from your aunt. It's confusing in tone, and the way it's written makes it appear that you are paraphrasing what your aunt said instead of what she actually did say. As a result, it's confusing and not immediately obvious where I should put the quote marks or change the text itself.

Last edited by Koir : 06-17-2009 at 12:49 PM.
(#130 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)

06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Hi, Koir. Thanks as always!

Quote:
My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt. The assistant said that her mother was much like me.
This sounds like the assistant’s mother was much like me(Yuri).
Can I write it “The assistant said that her mother was much like my aunt.”?

I didn’t go with my aunt or see the shop assistant. Doesn’t “The assistant said that …..” sounds like I saw the assistant?

Quote:
I can understand the assistant's point of view. From looking at the two of you, she came to the conclusion that your aunt, being older, is most likely a mother or at least deserving of the status we should give to older people in society. As your post stated, it's hard to overcome the ideas one has grown up with and held true for decades. It's possible, but never a complete process.
Should I write the fact that I didn’t go with her?
My aunt told me the story after she came back to Japan.

Quote:
As for the post composition itself, I see a lot of improvement and increased skill in writing English naturally. There are some sentences that go on too long that need to separated into two or more sentences depending on the flow of words and ideas.
The flow of words is difficult to me. I will see to avoid too long sentences.

Quote:
The one problem I have with the post is with the quote from your aunt. It's confusing in tone, and the way it's written makes it appear that you are paraphrasing what your aunt said instead of what she actually did say. As a result, it's confusing and not immediately obvious where I should put the quote marks or change the text itself.
I considered indirect discourse, but “My aunt told me that the assistant liked my aunt, the assistant said to my aunt that the assistant’s mother was much alike my aunt, and the assistant wanted to exchange letters with my aunt, but my aunt didn’t like the assistant because the assistant called my aunt ‘Mama-san’ many times. My aunt felt as if she was a bar hostess.”
For one thing, I wasn’t with her when she met the assistant.

Thanks, again, Koir!

I YamaP